Friday, October 13, 2017

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

This week we have been challenged to describe a time we encountered bias, prejudice, and/or oppression. This encounter could be in our own lives or something we have witnessed (in real life or in a fictional setting). Then we were instructed to discuss some specific aspects of our reaction to this bias and what will have to change to turn the incident into an opportunity for equity.

I know this is a platform where I usually discuss early childhood education but this post is going to be a little different. I am going to address wrongful convictions. I am a huge fan of true crime shows and especially podcasts about the injustices that are inherent in our criminal justice system. Some of my favorites include Truth and Justice, Undisclosed, and Actual Innocence. You can click the links I have provided here or below to access these podcasts.

The system is full of biases and prejudices and many times I have listened to stories of wrongful conviction based on what is called confirmation bias. The police, prosecutors, and the like focus on one person and will take any alleged evidence they find which does not support their theory and make it disappear or change their story to fit it. Many times the prejudices that are carried out are based on race, lack of wealth or other minority factors.

There is already a lack of equity because the accused hold no power while the state holds this person's life, often literally, in their hands. The prejudices that exist based on race are particularly difficult to overcome because the oppressed already have a disadvantage due to not being members of the dominant culture. Institutionalized oppression is at work in the most egregious way when a member of a targeted social group is accused of a crime they did not commit.

The feelings that have stirred up for me as I have become more familiar with these cases are varied and strong. I feel angry, confused, hurt, and powerless. I have recently wished that I could go to law school so that I could change some of these injustices from within the system. This is the only way that greater equity can be reached.

We have to stand up as a society and refuse to accept the injustices that exist based on institutionalized oppression. When we serve on juries we have to pay close attention and make decisions based on actual evidence, not on personal biases and prejudices. We have to become informed about who we are voting into public offices, particularly those who make decisions about how to prosecute the accused. We must pay attention to the laws and bills that are being considered and advocate for social change that will bring about equity for all, especially those who have been historically oppressed.






3 comments:

  1. Wendy,

    I agree with you 100%. There are cases of people being wrongfully accused and imprisoned. They are at times set free when new information comes to light and they catch the real person that was guilty for the crime. This is unacceptable and yes we need to stand up for our rights and the rights of others. Thanks for sharing the podcasts.

    Yolanda Arellano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I agree with you sometimes I wish I had been a lawyer to fight some of the injustice and prejudice. I also like to watch shows that are deal with reality.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, as usual Wendy :) Thank you for sharing the podcasts. My husband enjoys watching crime stories as well; so I have seen my fair share. Wrongful convictions based on profiling and bias happen more often than the general public realizes. Sadly, this widespread problem will always exist in a broken society. Until we can move past the stereotypes associated with race, class, and gender, we will continue to have a fractured justice system.
    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete