Saturday, July 15, 2017

My Personal Research Journey

           The topic I have chosen for my research simulation is professionalizing the field of early childhood education. I chose to focus on the subtopic of the influence of professionalizing the field on program quality. I chose this subtopic for a few reasons. First, my work centers around increasing quality in early childhood programs. As a coach I feel that the more research and information I can gather about the way that professionalism influences quality the more able I will be to help providers to see the connection. The second reason is that I have found very little research about this subtopic- or the more general topic of professionalizing the field of early childhood. I am approaching the research simulation as if I am actually going to conduct the research and data gathering. I expect that data collection would support the idea (or dispel it) that when those working with children focus on their work as professionals quality will increase and, of course, children, families, providers, and communities will benefit.
        As I completed the reading and research chart this week I realized that I still have a lot to learn about compiling a research design. I also have a lot to do before I can design my own simulation. I am still unsure what type of methodology will best fit my topic- inductive or deductive. Inductive is focused on qualitative research and deductive is focused on quantitative. Also, inductive methodology is more fluid in design as it can be adjusted along the way; deductive is rigid in the design and process and cannot be changed "midstream" if the data is to be reliable (Mac Naughton, Rolfe, & Siraj-Blatchford, 2010).
        So, I pose the question to all of you. Do you have suggestions about what type of methodology I should follow? Have you determined what method you will follow and have you had a chance to determine if there are pros or cons to either? Do you have any other advice or insights to share that have occurred to you during these first weeks of the course? Finally, I ask for any reliable resources you may have come across about what influences quality or the effects of professionalism on quality.
        At this point I am not sure how many resources I can share with you. I did find a helpful website from the University of Minnesota which describes several different types of research designs. You can access it here- https://hsl.lib.umn.edu/biomed/help/understanding-research-study-designs.

The design possibilities seem endless when I see graphics like this:
Although I am willing to support all of my colleagues in their search for information and resources I find it difficult to share additional resources without knowing your topics, hypotheses, and designs.



References


Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S.A., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010). Doing early childhood research: International perspectives on theory and practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

University of Minnesota. (2017). Understanding research study designs. Retrieved from https://hsl.lib.umn.edu/biomed/help/understanding-research-study-designs






4 comments:

  1. Professionalizing the field of early childhood education is a great topic to research. Actually, I thought about chosen this topic myself. By taking the necessary steps to advance their knowledge and skills, early childhood educators can advance professional development, enhance the profile of the entire profession, and improve public perceptions of those who work in the field. childcare workers and preschool teachers with college degrees or certifications can improve outcomes for children, but many questions arise about whether those findings would hold true absent other factors like higher wages, classroom resources, and positive workplace conditions. The early childhood workforce needs to have a unified framework for credentials and qualifications in order to receive the public investments necessary to increase compensation.

    LaQuesha Goss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy,
    It is good to meet you once again!
    Program quality like professionalizing EC workers is a timely topic to explore. In my opinion, using the inductive approach might be best for the topic since you have been working in the EC field for quite a while. With inductive approach, you can have specific observations from several early childhood development centers if time permits. From these observations you can draw real examples, and draw information that can help you formulate hypotheses that you can test. Out of these steps, you can make general conclusions if professionalizing is indeed a factor for quality program. I hope this helps. I, myself is still figuring out what approach to use.
    I enjoy your post!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is an overwhelming chart indeed. That's an intriguing topic, Wendy. I have not chosen my design method either; it is an unfamiliar task for me, as well. Finding information may be challenging because professionalizing is such a current topic. But you seem very passionate on pursuing quality; I have no doubt that you will find what you need. Best wishes in your research. I will keep my eyes open for any information, I can pass along.
    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post was very informational. I love your topic and your reasoning for wanting to professionalizing early childhood education.

    ReplyDelete