Monday, October 30, 2017

Communication: Lessons From a Friend

This week I was asked to share with you all about a person whom I know that demonstrates competent communication in certain contexts. I chose to write about my good, long time friend Shayna.

Shayna has always engaged in philanthropic careers and ventures. She has an advanced degree in anthropology and has, hence, studied human behavior for many years. One of her strengths is communicating with other professionals in her field. However, she also has a way with people who are suffering and in need of support. She worked for several years as a patient navigator for the American Cancer Society. In this capacity, as well as in her personal life, she is an active listener and often asks reflective questions to help a person think through their problem or concern.

Not only would I want to model my communication style after Shayna but I often do just that. I try to draw from some of the conversations we have had when helping a friend in need. I often think about how she might react or what question she might ask if I came to her with the same problem. Her way of supporting while still probing is lovely.

She is a genuine person and also very direct. I respect that in communication because I never want to feel, or make someone else feel, like I am not saying what I really think.
Shayna can sometimes be quite blunt in her attempt to be direct. I do use caution not to be too blunt in my own communication with others, especially in professional settings.

I adore my friend and value her conversational style and intellect tremendously. I also have a great fondness for her fun, spunky spirit!

7 comments:

  1. Wendy,
    The person I wrote about is also an active listener. He too asks these reflective questions. Often when I come to him with a question he helps me work through it myself rather than just solving the problem for me which I know he could do. He makes me a better problem solver with his communication skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Wendy
    Informative blog thanks, I believe that active listening is a talent and I had to learn how to become an active listener and once I did I developed a better communication with the children and families along with my co-workers. Also, I learned how to ask direct question to get to the real issues. Knowledge obtained from the conversation of others is a learning tool this is my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,

    Wow! It is fascinating how many experiences she has had that would have required her to be an effective communicator. Sometimes I wonder if having more exposure to events or occupations would naturally lead us to becoming better at communicating? I am sure in some sense, it would, but there are cases when people are not aware of how they are ineffective in certain areas- communication could be one of those. It sounds like her education background has assisted tremendously. What a fascinating read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Wendy,
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with someone who demonstrates competent communication. It looks like your friend Shayna is a Competent, successful communicator and able to modify her behavior to suit each person and conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are fortunate to have such a lovely friend! I believe that being an active listener is such an important part of being a competent communicator. I definitely also agree that asking reflective questions to help a person think through their problem is an effective communication behavior to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy
    I think that it is good to have a person to role model some of our behaviors or habits after. One thing that I have learned through communication is that I have to think before I speak. I tend to be a misunderstood person if I don't. I am also direct and as a result that kind of behavior can get you into trouble if you are conscious of what you say to others. They may not receive it the way you meant for it to come out. Culture should be looked at when we communicate with others. Not only that but so much more before we speak. We must look out our intended audience. I feel that all this is a learning process. Good luck in the course and I believe we will all be better communicators as a result of this course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is great that you have someone that you can model after. Having those positive role models is important in our life as well as our career. I find it difficult to find people that you can connect with on a communication level. It is hard to talk with just anybody about your life, career, or everyday things. I know myself in my career I work with a lot of younger people and it is difficult to connect with.

    ReplyDelete