Friday, October 27, 2017

Professional Hopes, Goals, and Thanks



As we wrap up another class in our MS of Early Childhood Studies program I wish to share some of the inspiring ideas that are brewing because of my renewed thinking about anti-bias, diversity rich education.

One hope...

I hope that when working with adults from diverse backgrounds that I will hear all of their voices. Everyone

has something to bring to the table and I want to create a space where it is safe to share each perspective.

One goal...

My goal is to help professionalize the field of early childhood education so that the adults and children in the environments are respected and valued regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, status, age, or other social identity or cultural component.

Buy this book here
Buy me here
Buy this excellent resource here




A note of thanks...

I want to thank each of my colleagues who took the time to interact with and support me throughout this course. I wish the best for all of you in the pursuit of anti-bias and culturally competent education. As I work with the other adults in the field I often bring to mind an interaction that I had with one of you through our discussions and blogs. You have all helped me to continue to expand my reflective practices so that I can contribute to the vision of an education system without oppression or privilege.

4 comments:

  1. I love your goal! Too often people refer to the field of EC as glorified daycare. What they do not realize is that we are shaping the next generation of adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy:
    I think we share a goal. When teachers understand the importance of valuing what each child and family can bring into our learning centers, our programs will be richer.
    Lourdes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, I agree with you, each of us brings something to the table and if we take the time to listen to those ideas, we will prosper with each others knowledge.
    Thank you Wendy for all your support during this journey and I hope to hear from you on our next class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creating a safe environment not only for our families and students but our colleagues is vital in our field. Many educators feel overwhelmed and even unsupported. We should not feel this way. Feeling safe helps us grow and form better relationships with everyone we encounter through out our day. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and goals with us. They are appreciated and respected. I wish you the best in continuing your journey!

    ReplyDelete