Thursday, May 11, 2017

Getting Ready—Expanding Horizons and Expanding Resources

Part 1:
The World Forum site and radio/podcast station were not available at this time. Therefore, I will be completing the alternative assignment for Part 1. At first I thought I would just pick one of the 2 sites at random. However, I realized I wanted to know more about the organizations before I chose which one to learn more about over the next 8 weeks. So, I went to the Charity Navigator website.  On this site you can discover many things about non-profit organizations.
After conducting some research I decided to focus on the Global Fund for Children. There were a few factors that helped me to decide. One of the most important factors was that I found that the Global Fund for Children only makes an annual revenue of $6,222,710 compared to the $641,045,550 (more than 10 times higher) revenue of Save the Children. It got me thinking that any additional exposure that can be granted to The Global Fund could help them to do that much more good work.
This mission statement, retrieved from Charity Navigator, speaks to how the organization focuses on not only direct service to children, but contributions to social change in different ways.

Part 2:
For this section I chose to investigate the National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators (NAECTE) website and newsletters. Unfortunately I cannot seem to figure out how to actually subscribe to the newsletter. Since it is a quarterly publication I will be able to at least go back and read several previous issues.
I actually attempted to choose a few other options from the resource list first but they all seemed to have broken links. In the end I am glad that I chose NAECTE since my work now and in the future will be focused on educating teachers. I do not know a lot about the organization yet but I definitely look forward to learning more about this organization that focuses on teaching teachers!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Wendy,
    Thank you for the post and the Charity Navigator website you shared with us. I checked the website, and it has many think I am interested in them. I am sure I am going to use this website frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy,

    I did not realize that there was such a vast difference between the financials of those two charities! I am glad that I chose to look more into the Global Fund for Children, as you did. I took your advice and used Charity Navigator, also, and I agree that the support for the two groups is decidedly unequal. I really liked the ideas presented by the GFC about grassroots campaigns and building up communities. I cannot wait to talk to you some more about what we learn!

    ~Mary Grace

    ReplyDelete