Saturday, November 19, 2016

Quotes that Provoke Thought and Inspire

Quotes by Sue Bredekamp

“Good teachers acknowledge and encourage children’s efforts, model and demonstrate, create challenges and support children in extending their capabilities, and provide specific directions and instruction. All of these strategies can be used in the context of play and structured activities.”- Sue Bredekamp

"Children benefit most from teachers who have the skills, knowledge, and judgment to make good decisions and are given the opportunity to use them." Sue Bredekamp

Quotes by Virginia Buysse

“Reflection of real-life practices with individuals with diverse expertise who are gathered for a united purpose offered a unique opportunity for bidirectional knowledge generation and scaffolding- a core principle of a community of practice.”- Virginia Buysse

“Largely in response to requirements of funding agencies, we develop relationships with colleagues from other institutions, community agencies, and direct service programs, but our recognition of the benefits of such collaboration often is limited to the research itself (for example, the convenient recruitment of participants, assurance of common measures, and replication of effects across sites).”- Virginia Buysse

Quotes by Other Early Childhood Professionals

“I had, I think, a built in passion that it was important to make a real contribution to the world… and I wanted to do that through teaching.” Louise Derman-Sparks

“I’m not here to save the world. I’m here just to make a difference in the community that I’m working in.” Raymond Hernandez MS Ed 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,
    I am very impressed by both Sue Bredekamp's quotes!
    If all teachers understand, memorize, and chose to keep those skills while they teach, every teacher will make a difference, and that what we as professionals have to consider because children will benefit most from teachers who have these skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy,
    I picked the same quote as you did by Raymond Hernandez, but I extended it, because making the day better for just one child, truly is enough to make me feel good. It does not make me feel complete, or like I have done enough, but it makes me feel some purpose in my day and in my presence.

    I agree with Safaa that both of the Sue Bredekamp quotes are fantastic. I really like the word "judgment" in the second quote, because as adults leading children through their first years of life, we need to use good judgment, which cannot usually be taught. It is also vital for those teachers to be given that opportunity to help children grow. I really like that second quote - teachers must be given some room to spread the seeds of wisdom in order to let them grow into individuals.

    Mary Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Children benefit most from teachers who have the skills, knowledge, and judgment to make good decisions and are given the opportunity to use them."
    Dr. Bredekamp really knows her stuff! I am a major fan of her work on the manual for Developmentally Appropriate Practices, and this is a large part of why! Not only does Bredekamp see the value in a holistic approach to learning that is culturally sensitive and individualized to the needs of each child, but she advocates for the importance of teacher support (Developmentally Appropriate Practice. (n.d.)). Just as children should be supported in reaching there own, unique and autonomous capabilities, teachers should as well, if they hope to do the best job possible for children! It is my hope that all school systems will ultimately adopt these practices.

    Reference

    Developmentally Appropriate Practice (DAP) | National Association for the Education of Young Children | NAEYC. (n.d.). Retrieved November 19, 2016, from http://www.naeyc.org/DAP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raymond Hernandez really speaks to me with his quote about making a difference. I try so hard each day to make my students smile, to have a positive impact on their learning so that they think about school in a positive way!

    ReplyDelete